Sunday, 4 January 2009

Sambhar

Sambhar or Huli as it is called in Kannada is something we need for idli, gundpangala /appe and of course rice. Its simple, fast to cook and very versatile add any vegetable or remove ant that you do not have. The difference between Rasam or saar and sambhar is not just the different masala it is the consistency. Sambhar is thicker than saar.

I prefer the masala I make to the ready made one, I just could not understand, why till my friends and I had had the sambhar I made for a kitty party. Maya, the lady who diagnosed the problem told me it was the additional ingredients like cinnamon and dagadphool that I used, made it different and an "additive flavour".

To make sambhar

1 cup toor dal/turichi dal /togri bali

1 tomato medium sized

½ tsp haldi

1 Onion diced

2-3 cauliflower florets cut in to small pieces

1 carrot diced

2 tblspn oil

1 tsp mustard

2-3 springs curry leaves

2-3 red chillies broken into pieces

½ haldi

1tsp asafoetida

1 tblspn sambhar powder (adjust as per taste)

A lemon sized ball of tamarind

A marble sized ball of jaggery(adjust as per taste)

Salt

1. Pressure cook toor dal with the tomato and haldi.

2. Soak the tamarind in ¼ cup of water and extract the juice.

3. Heat oil add the mustard, when it splutters add the red chillies, curry leaves, haldi, and asafoetida .

4. Sauté the onions when they become transparent add the vegetables.

5. Mash the tomato and dal and add to the vegetables. Mix well.

6. Add the tamarind juice extract, jaggery salt and bring to boil.

Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright