Saturday, 4 April 2009

Dhudhi Halwa

Pappa had brought Dhudi in Marathi /Hal kumbalkai in Kannada / Lauki in Hindi/ Konkan dhudhi in Konkani/bottle gourd in English. The maid had peeled and grated it, yesterday, hence so very simple to cook in the morning it was about ¾ kg grated.

Since I did not have khawa /mava /phedas in my store all, better known as the fridge, I boiled ½ litre of milk in a khadhi till it was reduce to half.

Besides this I used

2 cups sugar

1 tblspn of ghee

A handful of cashew nuts

Elichi powder

First squeeze out the excess liquid out of the grated gourd put in a kadhi in which you have heated ghee.

Fry the dhudhi till it is slightly cooked then add to this the reduced milk, sugar, cashew nuts and cook until the milk has evaporated and the mixture is a homogeneous mixture . the whole thing should take 20-30 minutes.but keep stirring else it might burn a bit.


(At this point I became quite bored of stirring the mixture so I put it in the microwave for 10 minutes it was quite dry so I suppose 6-7 minutes is okay).

Add elichi powder and mix well.


Serve chilled.


P.S. Next time I will not add the cashew nuts and try making parathas out of them.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps the recipe needs to be polished further.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright