Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Chivda

Chivda
I was supposed to make chivda for Diwali, but Pappa sent some, so I kept aside the Pohe I had brought.  I had purchased the Pohe/beaten rice called Bhajke Pohe as for one the Rain God is still making his presence felt and secondly as I am not confident about the way the Patal pohe (the thin one) have to be roasted to get the beautiful crunch that chivda has.
So for 850 grms of bhajke pohe I used
½ cup oil
2 tsp of mustard
250 grms of ground nuts
150 grms of puthne
3 springs of curry leaves
7 green chillies cut fine
½ tsp I/turmeric
4 tsp of red chilli powder
2 tsp hing
As I had no lime I used a 1/8 tsp of citric acid crystals in ¼ cup of water but you could use juice of one lime
Salt

Method:
1.       In a kadhai heat oil to check if it is heated enough add 2-3 grains of mustard. If they start spluttering immediately add the rest.
2.       I added  the groundnuts next and stirred occasionally till they stated popping a little. Next the Puthne again stir till you get a lovely fragrance of the roasted/fried nuts. (You can add cashew nuts and dry coconut/chobra pieces also).
3.       In go the green chillies and curry leaves. After about ½ a minute add the haldi/turmeric, chilli powder and hing/asafoetida. Stir well.
4.       Add the lime juice. Be careful as the oil will splutter a lot. Once the spluttering stops switch off the gas and add the pohe, salt and sugar.

P.S. This is totally mild chivda. If you want it spicy add more green chillies,chilli powder.
Also use more sugar and lime juice to your taste

2 comments:

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright