Somehow these days I just could not turn out a proper Dhokla and the poor dear used to still eat it( he does eat a lot of my failed experiments so this is not an exception). As a result we started buying it from the local supermarket.
Yesterday I decided to dig out the old recipe and make Dhokla.
Steaming time: 20 minutes.
2 cups besan/kadli hit
1 cup rava
2 cups buttermilk
1 inch Ginger
8-10 cloves garlic
3 green chillies
OTHER INGREDIENTS NEEDED:
2 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Eno's fruit salt
3 tblspn +2 tsps (to grease) oil
2 tblspn of Phodi/ vagani made of popped mustard, hing/asafoetida and sesame seeds
Freshly grated coconut
1. Mix all the ingredients to soak in a big bowl as the batter is going to ferment and rise and let it stand for at least 6 hours.
2. After 6 hours put the 2 tsp oil in the mould and keep aside (do not grease as yet).
3. Mix well the rest of the ingredients except the Eno's fruit salt.
4. Get your cooker heated with enough water to steam the batter for 20 minutes.
5. In the mould that you have added oil for greasing, add the Eno and mix with your fingers till the Eno is well mixed with the oil. Grease the sides of the mould also.
6. Pour the batter in the mould and continue mixing till the Eno is well mixed in the entire batter.
7. Transfer the mould to the cooker and steam (without the whistle) for 20 minutes.
8. Serve topped with freshly grated coconut, coriander and the phodni/ vagarni made of 2 tblspn of oil, mustard, hing/asafoetida and sesame seeds.