Friday, 25 February 2011

Suran Gaddi/Suran/ Elephant's Foot Cutlets


As I wanted to try out the Shrivalli's ICC Challenge Gujarati Dal  I requested my husband to buy some suran gaddi in Kannada, suran in Marathi and elephant's foot in English. I did not mention the quantity so he brought a big huge one.

I did not make the daal but now was stuck with this foot. So I made something like pav bhajji --rejected. I vaguely remember Amma making it so well that it tasted like mutton but I cannot find the recipe. If
someone can  I would be grateful.

Now the major part of the thing I boiled with a little Kokum and salt and racking my brains as to what I should do with it.

I remembered reading in the newspaper about elephant’s foot, where the author had made some cutlets. This was ages ago and ingredient?? Ha-ha big joke.

Then I decided to wing it through as  at the most I will have to throw it out.

Ingredients:

1/2 kg boiled suran

4-5 flakes garlic

a handful of coriander

chilli powder (adjust as per taste)

salt

bread crumbs  or bread soaked in water and squeezed dry

2 tblspn besan or cornflour(optional)

3 tblspn rice flour( optional)

oil for frying

Method: 

1.      The first thing to do is when the suran is hot to mash the stuff as much as you can.  As I did not do this I had to use water to grind it down and hence I needed more bread since I did not have it I used cornflour and rice flour.

2.      Grind in the mixer the suran with garlic, coriander, salt and red chilli powder.

3.      Remove and add the bread crumbs, if yo are using rice flour and besan add the same and mix well to form a soft dough.

4.       I made them into longish small balls and shallow fried them. You can deep fry the also.
5.     Serve hot with sauce and green chutney.


The verdict--

Younger kid-- Mamma tastes like non veg food.

Older kid -- Mamma what have you made these look like croquettes that Stacy buys.

Hubby dear-- I want some more.

Friends in office -- Hey what have you brought? You brought them? Idiot don't you know what not to buy?

Me-- No I made them at home.

Friend-- What will this Bhattin (Brahmin woman) make? Give them here let us taste them.

All in all must try again.





20 comments:

  1. Yummy and crispy.. A different idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Innovative and yummy cutlets....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wat a prefect tea time snack, those cutlets looks marvellous..

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for linking this is a funny name haven't heard of this name :)
    lovely combination

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting! They really do look like elephant feet =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These looks soo delicious...Never tried cutlets with elephant yam.After seeing ur clicks, I have to try this:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont know about the main ingredient....now I'm going to google it. Sounds yummy! Liked your verdict.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I forgot to mention baout the calendar. http://www.blogdoctor.me/2007/02/google-calendar-for-bloggers.html
    The linky should help you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! They look so adorable. Would love to have with ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi archana, all you need to do is click on the award pics and copy the image - then on your blog you post it like you would a recipe with some details like who gave you the award and link to my site and then you can pass it on to 15 people ... so it is like a rolling trophy ... and then you write down 7 things about yourself and share with us... Hope this is clear if not please get back to me .. love, priya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy cutlet!!!

    I would like to thank you for linking your Lovely and Innovative salad for Innovative salad Event. Round up of the event has been publish. Hoping You will like it

    Innovative salad Event - Cucumber Round up

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds very interesting...
    Have a great weekend..:)
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  13. New to me..Will try for sure..thnks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fabulous. First time I am hearing about Suran. Thanks for the recipe and introducing me to this new vegetable/root.:-)

    -Mythreyi
    Yum! Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for you wonderful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for you wonderful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely cutlets...looks so yummy !!!!!!!!!!Do check out my recipes at http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/ and let me know your valuable comments !

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright