Saturday, 23 April 2011

Kavli Kai or Karvandan che Chutney



Kavli Kai or Karvand  in Kannada and Marathi respectively is  one word has a lot of memories associated with it.

The chutney was the first time I ground something that to on the grinding stone. 
When we used to go the neighbouring colony to play there was “Karvand” bush and all of us use to pluck them and eat these fruits.
Amma used to make some kind out of this I just have a hazy memory of these berries being pricked and then were cooked in the sugar syrup. Only the berries were red and white.
And on our way to Dharwad our native place Pappa used to buy the ripe fruits called Kavli Han in Kannada which are black in colour but sweet and tasty too!!
How I miss those days!!
When I saw the raw Karvand in the market I was excited and not sure of its reception home I brought one measure from the lady.

The chutney is to be made just like Mango chutney the recipe of which is here. Only remove the stalks of the karvand I am not sure you can eat them.A white milky sap oozes out but that is okay.

Taste great with anything !

After I made the chutney I could not stop myself so I had it thus!!

8 comments:

  1. It's always nice to have nice memories.. this is totally new to me.. like the way u spelled it out..

    ReplyDelete
  2. A yummy chutney...looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious and mouth-watering chutney,nice preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very tempting chutney! So irresistibile! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chutney looks wonderfully prepared. Very nice pics.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  6. That a completely new recipe to me!! looks soo delicious..wud love to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so delicious and very inviting chutney !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very tempting and mouthwatering chutney....

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright