Friday, 15 July 2011

Alu Vadi or Taro Leaf Roll

My mother in law was an expert in making what is called Alu Vadi in Marathi! You could call it Taro leaf roll. In Kannada it is called Shavi yelli.
MIL used to grow her own alu for making this dish. Once I remember asking/telling her that one of the leaves leaf was big and why was she not cutting it. She told me that she was waiting for the other 2 to become a bit bigger so that she could make Alu Vadi and not to worry this one would not wither off before they were sizable. She was correct they were exactly the same size when she finally cut them.

At my request she showed me the method of making them. I try to imitate her but “Abhi Deli bhout door hai”!


I do not grow the Alu needed to make this and I buy them. Rains are the time you get them aplenty and after a long time I have tried making these.

Apparently you get 2 kinds of Alu one with a green stem and one with reddish stem. I used the latter to make these as Kaku-my MIL used these.

As far as possible choose big untorn leaves (put the torn leaf inside the roll). These leaves are very delicate so have to be handled carefully.  Wash them.  I love the way the water forms a big droplet and runs off the leaf leaving you no need to wipe them but you do so anyway for you are a creature of habit. It is a good idea to put the leaves face down and run a rolling pin over the veins. This enables you to easily roll the leaf this step is optional.  

You use something sour with Alu. Do you know why? My first intro to this question was in Std.VIII, IX or X. Our science teacher named Krishna, but we all called her Bitti teacher asked us this question and went on to explain about the plant storing oxalic acid crystals. These  crystals cause an itch she said but humans being humans found a way to negate this, we use tamarind juice. This was something of a surprise to me for I never expected Bitti teacher know anything  about cooking and it hit me like a bolt of lightening that she cooked! She was a teacher after all!! God how naïve I was …J

Ingredients:
3 leaves, washed and dried (you can use more leaves but I did not want tempt fate 3 leaves)
½ cup tamarind juice
¾ cup besan/kadli hit/chana daal atta
½ cup jaggery cut in fine pieces (adjust as per taste)
½ tsp chilli powder (this year I have mixed Guntur and badgyi chilli powders so it is quite pungent)
Salt
1 tsp hing/asafoetida
1 pinch of cooking soda
1 tblspn til/sesame seeds (optional)
Method:
1.       Mix the jaggery in the tamarind and wait till it dissolves. You could crush the jaggery with your fingers.
2.       Add the rest of the ingredients and make a thick batter, batata wada batter consistency. Adjust the seasoning.

3.       On a clean surface lay the alu leaf face down or should I say the veins should be facing you.

4.       Spread a thin layer of the batter. Lay another leaf on the batter surface and spread the batter again covering the entire leaf. Repeat with the third leaf.

5.       Fold the sides of the leaf and the curved edges from the top so that you get a rectangle.


6.       Now make a tight roll of the leaf. Cover the leaf with the remaining batter from all sides.

7.       In the pressure cooker on a metal sieve place a plate upside down now transfer the roll in the cooker and steam for 20 minutes.

8.       Remove from the cooker cool it


9. slice the roll so that you get pin-wheels. These can be eaten just like this or shallow fried.






Alu Vadi on Foodista

18 comments:

  1. Love this ...I never add tamarind n other few ingredients ...yours version looks so gud ....I always wait for my taro leaves to grow so I can make too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that's a great dish i ever heard! it could be great entry to healthy snacks evnt going by my blog!
    Food Blog News
    Event-Healthy Snacks

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy....mouth watering....i wish i cd eat them right away!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also make it we called arvi patta but never use jaggery.
    looking super

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this..looks delicious n yumm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been lucky enough to find taro leaves around here. I love pathra and yours looks perfect ~ am craving 4 some now ..
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  7. there is no such option to change it (name in the healthy snacks event) dear! i'm sorry.post once again with the recipe name.

    Food Blog News
    Event-Healthy Snacks

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello archana just checked it now! problem solved!

    Food Blog News
    Event-Healthy Snacks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome recipe.....is it the same one which Maharashtrians call Patra ??

    One of my roomies had got this for me....very yummy !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so delicious. Love it. My MIL also told me abt this recipe. But I was not able to find the leaves here. Yours looks so delicious. They make it in Blore also. I loved it when I tasted it last time. If I get these leaves, will def give a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very interesting recipe, looks great, nice explanations...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woww.. that a new dish to me.. I have to try this out.. :) Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, moms and mother-in-laws are the best! I have lived in Mumbai for a long time and I used to love these. There is a technique in rolling the leaves and the stuffing should be quite thick. No, even I cannot make these, sigh!
    http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!!! This is absolutely tempting & yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so different and looks very crispy also. Wonderful dear

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice interesting recipe !! superb recipe !!

    Ongoing Event - CC-Roti Pachadi/Chutney

    ReplyDelete
  17. please stop my blog and receive your award for participating in "HEalthy Snacks" event.
    Good Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright