This month I have two events running both close to my heart.
Back to roots where you can repost your own recipe with new pictures and send it to me and the other is Priya’s Veggie/Fruit of the month-Raw Bananas hosted by me.
Raw Bananas or plantains as they are called are high in starch content. So they can replace potatoes in most cases. Get the hint?
With this in mind I made this delicious gravy out of raw bananas.
1 cup raw bananas,
3-4 tblspn freshly grated coconut
1 pea sized ball of tamarind
½ tsp Red chilli powder (adjust as per taste)
4-5 seeds of fenugreek/methi
½ tsp of urid daal (I used a small rock)
½ tsp hing/asafoetida
1. In case you have not already done it please oil your palms a bit and your peelers too, now peel the raw banana. Cut the banana lengthwise and make fine slices. (You can make thicker ones but I choose thin slices so that it cooks faster).
2. In a kadhai/wok heat fry the fenugreek seeds till reddish. Remove then add the urid daal and fry again till reddish. Remove from the kadhai fry the hing. I did this as I was using small rock of hing in case you are using the powder switch off the gas and add the hing or add it to the oil after the mustard when you are making the tadka.
3. Grind to a fine paste the coconut, tamarind, haldi, red chilli powder, and fenugreek and urid daal and hing/asafoetida.
4. In the same kadhai heat some oil and splutter mustard seeds, add the hing/asafoetida (in case you have not ground it).
5. Add the sliced banana pieces and stir.
6. Add the ground paste and stir, adjust the amount of gravy and the thickness needed using water.
7. Add the salt and jaggary if using. Bring to a boil. (Since my slices were thin they cooked almost immediately else cook covered till cooked).
8. Garnish with coriander.
9. Serve hot with rice and papad.
Sending to my own event Veggie /Fruit of the month-Raw Banana Priya's brainchild.
to Only curries started by Pari and hosted by Janaki
and Cooking without Garlic and Oil.