Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Bitter Gourd ~Flavours of Nepal


I am guilty of not sending my entries to events.

 Not attending to my e mails regularly in short I am not organised.

About the first thing I did this month was getting this veggie ready and today I am posting it in great hurry on the last day. Thank God it is a leap year.

This is my entry to Nupur’s Flavours of Nepal.

I love karela/bitter gourd/bitter melon/hagalkai/karla. So what best can I cook when I found this site when I Google for the recipes.
The original recipe is here and here is mine.

Ingredients:
2 karela, sliced
1 onion, finely diced
1 tomato, chopped fine
2 dried red chilies 
2 fresh green chilies, minced
1 tsp mustard seeds 
1 teaspoon garlic, minced 
1 teaspoon ginger, minced 
1/2 teaspoon turmeric 
1 tablespoon curry powder
3 tablespoons cooking oil
Carrot juliennes   

Method:
1.      In a pot of boiling salted water blanch bitter melon slices for a few minutes and transfer cold water. Blanching in heavily salted water reduces the bitterness of bitter melon.
2.        In a non-stick sauce pan, heat oil and fry mustard seeds and red chilies until dark.
3.        Add onion fry until light brown.
4.       Add the tomato. Fry till mushy.
5.       Add turmeric, curry powder, chilies, garlic and ginger; mix for a minute or so.
6.       Add the blanched bitter melon and stir fry for five minutes.
7.       Cover and cook on medium heat for ten more minutes.
8.       Garnish with carrot juliennes and serve with steamed rice. 



Archana



8 comments:

  1. Hi dear. That's a quick one. I remember picking a nau phodon in Nepal and I must say it adds great flavour.


    FOODELICIOUS

    MARCH EVENT, ‘ONLY’- SOUTH INDIAN & GIVEAWAYS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one, very rarely I see biter gourd recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thank you so much for participating in Kid’s Delight event. :) I’ve posted the Roundup in 3 parts. You can check your entry at Part 1 , Part 2 OR Part 3
    Love,
    Kavi (Edible Entertainment)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely yummy..I should try this soon...Bookmarking this one..

    Aarthi
    http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Karela., this looks delicious! will try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks super yummy...........

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats one lovely recipe, dpecially for Bitter guard lovers like me.

    thnx for linking to the event

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright