Sunday, 25 March 2012

Sandwich

Before I begin I would like to thank the Earl of Sandwich for popularizing sandwich.

 I had read in the Reader’s Digest that he had done quite a few experiments much to the discomfort of his family and no doubt after spending a lot of time and money when his experiments were discarded. The recent version that I read was that invented sandwich for practical purposes which was play cards not waste time eating.

 I tried searching for the article in RD, but could not find it, however here is one of the many that you can google for the history of sandwich. 

Whatever had it not been for him one of us would have had to reinvent the age old method of eating bread and meat/veggies in our case.
  
Sandwiches are served in different forms with meat or without meat, with veggies or a mix of both.

My kids love chutney sandwiches so when I tried this different filling in their sandwich I was unsure of the reactions, but when I did not get any complaints it is taken for granted that the sandwiches were enjoyed. I did not ask them “Aa Bail Mujhe MAar”! No thanks.


So let us get down to the nitty gritty. You can make the filling in advance or at the last possible moment. Since I made it in advance it was back to the fridge again till evening. When I had my share it tasted fantastically chilled.  Hubby dear wanted crushed garlic in his!

Ingredients:
½ cup hung curd
1 tsp pepper freshly ground (adjust as per taste)
1 cup carrot grated (beets grated will look awesome)
½ tsp sugar (optional)
Garlic crushed (adjust as per taste)
Salt
Green chilies minced (adjust as per taste)
Coriander
Pumpkin peel chutney
Bread slices

Method:
1.    Mix all the ingredients except the bread slices.
2.    I let it sit in the fridge till evening.
3.    In the evening spread the mixture on only one slice
4.    On the other slice spread the chutney.
5.    Close the sandwich and chomp it up.


PS. For Pumpkin peels chutney use pumpkin peels, and red chili powder, in place of green chili and cucumber peels no coriander and curry leaves and this recipe of cucumber peel chutney.





Kid's Delight, hosted by Rujuta themed on Easy to make Snacks under 30 mins.
Show me your Hits Series 2~ Fiber Rich Foods

Healthy Morsels event at Taste of Pearl City


Fast Food, not Fat Food event hosted by Uma , an event by Priya


Archana

26 comments:

  1. Delicious and healthy sandwich. Pics are great.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
    http://lavanyasrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this sandwich. even had a similar one for breakfast just now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. easy sandwich recipe.. good lunch idea too..
    Noel collections

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks good, I usually make a cheese mayo and raisin sandwich which taste yummy. Cannot imagine a world without sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the history on sandwich and I love sandwiches..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sandwiches and if I'm the only person eating lunch on any day, sandwiches will be my easy course. A new variation for my sandwich lunch routines. Looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these look so good and I have never heard of pumpkin peel chutney!

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting filling for the sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Archana, I am joi9ning hands with you to thanks that Earl...I really think this is the best dish provided to the world and probably joins everyone together...loved your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very fond of anything with hung curd in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad that this is being sent to the Fast Food not Fat Food event! Love the idea -- really creative and it sounds delicious and very healthy! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. perfect sandwich !! looks wonderful !!

    Ongoing event CC:Vegan Diet - Plant Based Food

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love sandwiches too.. can never get bored with it.. I love dteh filling of curd & pumpkin peel,,this is so new to me.. will try this..!

    Ongoing Event : I'm The Star

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great and delicious looking sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  16. sandwiches make my day, anytime :) the addition of hung curd is awesome Archana... must try this !


    Kalyani
    Sizzling Tastebuds
    Event : Holi Fest – Colourful Palette
    Event : Bake Fest # 5

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can live out of sandwich for a day .. i love them in all variations..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh again you used pumpkin chutney in this interesting..feel like having one from there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice combination of curd instead of mayo.. THnx linkin up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely sandwich recipe. Thank you for linking with Healthy Morsels - Pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome way of using Peels ! liked ur Cucumber chutney as well. Will surely remember this recipe and get back here when I need it :) Thank you for linking it with Healthy Morsels- Pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright