Sunday, 8 April 2012

Jal Jeera

Imagine this scene it’s Saturday, about 1.35pm and the Sun is very pleased that that finally he has caught you,  when you  have forgotten your cap and sun coat at home in the morning.

He turns his on his devilish smile and grins just at you!!

 To add to it you are sweating (you cannot escape that in Goa). All the way the down from Office to home, a mere 5 kilometers turns in a nightmare, for I am allergic to the sun’s rays.


After I came home I hunted for my mom’s cookbook (now in tatters) but it’s by Aroona Reejhsinghani, something that I treasure as Amma had hardly any books or notes and it’s what Amma made.  

The recipe being Drinks That Cool… Jal Jeera.

My intro to Jal Jeera was in Akola, a small town in Maharashtra where my father was posted. Malviya Uncle had hosted a dinner and the one of drinks served there was Jal Jeera.

 I do not remember the other things I ate or drank but this one drink…

Needless to say at my request Amma made it, but just from the memory of the drink. She did not refer to this book. As I found this book later that year when we were packing up to go to Nagpur my Dad’s next posting…

Ingredients:
100 grams tamarind
¼ tsp shahjeera (the original said ½ tsp)
¼ tsp jeera (this is my addition)
½ tsp black salt, ground
8-10 springs pudina/mint
¼ tsp red chili powder
Jaggery
Salt to taste

Method:
1.    Soak the tamarind in 6 glasses of water. My glasses are say 250 gram   or 250 ml for ½ an hour.
2.    Extract the juice and stain.
3.    Fine grind the pudina with the other ingredients and mix with the tamarind water.
4.    Serve chilled on ice cubes.
P.S. 
The amount of jaggery and red chili powder will vary from person to person.It will also depend on how sour your tamarind is please adjust as per taste.

When you serve on ice cubes please remember that the cubes will contribute to water in the drink.

Sending this to
 Summer Spunk

Surabi Nayak @My Cook Book Mint and Coriander


Photobucket

29 comments:

  1. OO .. I love this one! Feels heavenly to have one glass of this after having a heavy meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats really a yummy delight,luks fab...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very refreshing and delicious looking Jal Jeera.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  4. generally make this with store bought jeera powder. this one is so unique. bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh la la; the first shot is simply sizzling;love this summer special drink !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very refreshing n healthy drink...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Archana 4 voting my recipe...I love jal jeera too:-) looks so inviting...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks chill and spicy, Archana!! Can we use the same thing for Pani Poori as well... my son is begging to make some... :-)


    -Mythreyi
    Yum! Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that was really refreshing dear

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks all.

    @Mythreyi- My daughetrs have been telling me its Pani poori water and not Jal jeera. So I guess you can use it as that also.:D They will be please that you have seconded their idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it at any time.
    Thanks for voting :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect weather to enjoy jaljeera,love it !!
    You can link this to my event hosted at Surabhi's space..

    Mint & Coriander

    ReplyDelete
  13. sure healthy n refreshing drink dear..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luv this jeera drink...perfect for the season

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice recipe...You can't escape sweating in Chennai too...it's really hot and sweaty

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yumm! Perfect for the summer! Lovely click and tempts a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow....chilled jal jeera...perfect to refresh the senses....

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi the mad, wow, i was scrolling down to look at your recipe- thought it might be iced tea with lemon and mint...ha ha
    great idea
    have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice one.. Thanks Linking @ "EP Series - Mint & Coriander":)
    Ongoing event
    "Let's Party"
    "EP Series - Mint & Coriander"

    ReplyDelete
  20. delicious looking drink wonderfully done

    ReplyDelete
  21. looks so refreshing
    Mireille
    http://gourmetglobal.blogspot.com
    http://indianfoodchronicles.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Quiet refreshing and healthy drink !! Thanks for linking to the event !!

    Ongoing event CC:Vegan Diet - Plant Based Food

    ReplyDelete
  23. Quiet refreshing and healthy drink !! Thanks for linking to the event ~~

    Ongoing event CC:Vegan Diet - Plant Based Food

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright