Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Pumpkin Stir Fry


What do you do when you have no veggies but pumpkin?

In my place no one eats pumpkin, especially the red one. I just do not know why. I have tried all sorts of way making this veggie in sambhar, a veggie. No sir… they all turn up their noses at it and the poor gourd has become quite upset.

So coming back to the original question what to cook? I have only pumpkin.


Now, traditionally pumpkin is not cooked with onion and garlic at home. But I decided that if I need to get all to eat I need to make it with garlic and onion.

After all I need to a vegetable on the table. Here is what I did, by no means unique but it is helping to stop thinking in a box.


Ingredients:
3 cups of pumpkin, peeled cubed
2 onions, chopped fine
2 tomatoes, chopped fine
3 flakes garlic, crushed
1 tsp ginger paste
½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp red chili powder (adjust as per taste)
½ tsp turmeric
Oil
Mustard seeds
Salt
Coriander for garnishing

Method:
1.  Heat the oil and add the mustard when it splutters add the garlic and ginger. Sauté till the raw smell goes away.
2.  Add the onions and fry till translucent.
3.  Add the tomatoes and the pumpkin, garam masala, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt. Mix well.
4.  Cook till done serve hot with chapattis or rice.


Linking to Priya's event VFAM guest hosted by Ruchika cooks



Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Looks yummy and make me drool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious..... Why do they avoid it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very healthy and delicious recipe.. looks super perfect !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  4. My6 hubby is very fussy abt this veggie, though I often make it...Nice stir fry...

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one. Never tried it before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely do dry curry with pumpkins, fantastic side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a great recipe, so so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delish!!!! Love pumpkin preps...How u doin??
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never had pumpkin stir fry before. Love the idea. Please do send it to VFAM - Pumpkin event.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mouth watering! i love your pictures….. gonna try ur version soon

    http://purevegetarianbites.wordpress.com/
    If you like my work please like on facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Purevegetarianbites/451572591526912

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love pumpkin curry and yours look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks tasty from rice to rotis it is a perfect dish..Thanks for the entry Arch.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright