Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Kurma


Kurma this veggie bring back nostalgic memories of my stay at my maternal uncle place every summer.

 Mami an excellent cook used to make kurma and chapatti or puri for breakfast on Sundays. The veggie she made was so delicious that we used to fight for it in the afternoon for lunch also.

After my marriage I was used to remember the veggie often but did not know how to make it. Too timid to ring Mami up and ask her for the recipe (we were a joint family then) I never did make it. Now this time I asked her how it is made and Mami true to her word not only gave me the recipe but also made it for me to eat. It was not the same. I missed all my cousins and the fights we had to eat the veggie. Another childhood memory goes in the treasure chest!!

Ingredients:

·    2 cups Cauliflower, cut in big florets
·    2 carrots cut in batons
·    4-5 baby potatoes, sliced in two or 2 big ones quartered
·    ½ cup peas (I did not use)
·    2 tomatoes quartered (Actually Mami used the small6-7 “jawari” tomatoes which she just split)
·   2 onions chopped fine
·   ½ cup oil

For grinding

·   ½  a cup fresh a coconut
·   2-3 tblsp poppy seeds
·   5-6 cloves garlic
·   1 inch ginger
·   1 onion chopped
·   1 tspn coriander seeds  
·   ½ tsp  jeera
·   1 inch cinnamon
·   1 clove
·   3 pepper corns
·   1 green elichi/cardamom
·   1 badi elichi/ masala cardamom
·   A few springs of coriander
·   ½ tsp turmeric powder
·   1 tsp chili powder
·   ¼ tsp badishop/saufn/fennel seeds(I did not use)

Method:

1.    Grind all the ingredients under the heading to grinds to a very fine paste.
2.    Heat the oil and add the badi elichi and stir for a second.
3.    It’s a force of habit and I added ½ a tsp of jeera. Then add the chopped onion and fry till golden brown.
4.    Add the potatoes, a pinch of salt mix well and cook till par-cooked (about 3-4 minutes depending on the size of the potato).
5.    Add the carrot mix and cook covered 2 minutes.
6.    Add the cauliflower a pinch of salt and mix well. Cook covered till the cauliflower is parboiled. (This gives a delicious aroma).
7.    Add the ground masala and tomatoes mix well.  
8.    Check the seasoning; adjust the thickness of the gravy.
9.    Serve hot garnished with coriander with roti or puris.

Sending to  
Anu's  "SYF&HWS - Cook With SPICES" guest hosted by Nupur
 South Indian Cooking Event started by Anu guest hosted by Sangeetha

All rights reserved on photographs and written content are copy-written @The Mad Scientist’s Kitchen!! unless mentioned. Please Ask First
  Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. Even i can have this kurma with anything, irresistible and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious kurma... and yes things tastes better when we have cute fights with cousins for the tasty food.....

    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - Healthy Foods for Healthy Kids - Combo Meals
    Ongoing Event + Giveaway - CEDD – HONEY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Swathi

    I love this one too.. Love the aroma filling the kitchen after its cooked :)

    Thanks fo rlinking to the event

    PS.Some wierd code line is coming in netween your texts.. whenever you have pressed Enter key I guess..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a delicious and perfect side dish.. Yummy !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent and irresistible,makes me hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice side dish for rot is looks delicious !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flavorful and delicious looking korma Archana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious kurma Archana, I love it, great with appam. Thanks for linking to Favorite recipes event: Vegetarian recipes

    Yes you can try pancake with banana.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My fav too...Love this with roti n rice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice. It is my all time favorite Korma. I use to make this for paratha or parota :) I love this !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright