Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Guest Hosting Know Your Flours~All Purpose Flour


All Purpose Flour is relatively a new addition to my kitchen. From very rarely used its slowly becoming a most used ingredient. Each one of us knows that it’s what we should avoid but can we?

 I for one prefer to make my cakes at home so that my girls do not eat the vanaspati or margarine loaded cakes from the shop. Slowly I want to make different breads too but not being patient with the yeast gets me in trouble.

So what is All Purpose Flour or Maida as it is know in India?

According to Wikipedia” Maida is a finely milled and refined wheat flour, closely resembling cake flour, and used extensively in making Indian fast food, Indian bakery products such as pastries and bread, and sometimes in making traditional Indian breads such as paratha and naan. It is made from the endosperm (the starchy white part) of the grain, while the fibrous bran is removed in the mill. Originally yellowish in colour, maida is popular in a white color, bleached with benzoyl peroxide.”

Abroad I believe you can get unbleached flour also the flour need to be enriched with certain amount of iron, thiamin, riboflavin, folic acid and niacin. You can read more here.
 Like me you do know all this but we still use APF or maida. So can we make this flour more nutritious?  Don your thinking Chef Hats ladies and send me your entries for I am hosting Jagruti’s popular series of Know your flours and my choice is All Purpose Flour or Maida.

Here are a few rules for the event

·         Cook and post about a recipe that features APF or Maida flour as the star ingredients.
·         Vegetarian and Vegan recipes are accepted.  
·        Link your recipes to this announcement and to Jagruthi’s page.

·        Use of logo is appreciated.
·        Send in as many recipes you like but only 3 from archives are accepted.

·        Non bloggers are also welcome to participate please send me a mail @themadscientistskitchen@gmail.com.
·        The last date to send in your entries – 31st December, 2012. 







All rights reserved on photographs and written content are copy-written @The Mad Scientist’s Kitchen!! unless mentioned. Please Ask First
  Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Will send my entry to this one... Thanks for ur comments on my place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice event!!! Have linked my Multigrain Bread.. Some more to come!!!
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat Flour
    Ongoing Event - Eggless Bakes and Treats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Hosting Nice event , just I linked my recipe/

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright