Thursday, 6 December 2012

Misal Pav ~~SNC Challenge #3


In my family misal is greeted with groans, especially when I make it. For I make it like a usal. I just could not imagine how else to make it one wants more masala, other lesser the only people who enjoyed it was my FIL and I.

Recently we went on a holiday to Pawankhind, in Amba valley, it was beautiful. The breakfast on day 2 was misal and everyone dug it. Now I was mystified for to me it tasted like how I made usal.

So when I saw the challenge for NSC by Meena of Random Ramblings  I was a bit apprehensive. But then I read the recipe and realized it different. So I followed the recipe to sorry cannot say to the T. Made a few minor changes just to suit our taste buds.

Read on dears but first I would like to thank Meena the Chef for this month also I have basically copied and pasted her recipe word to word and Divya the brains behind the outfit. For we enjoyed misal!!


As usual my recipe is divided in 2 parts morning and evening.

In the morning I followed the recipe and as there was very little time I made no adjustments. Just packed my tiffin and ran, literally! Only the peas used are 150 grams instead of 200 but the amount of other ingredients is same.

In the evening… let me tell you that later….

 Ingredients:  

To make a paste

·         4 onions
·        4 cloves garlic
·        1/4 inch ginger
·        2 green chillies
·        2 tomatoes
·        1/4 cup desiccated coconut

Other ingredients 

·       1/2 tsp cumin seeds                    
·       1/2 tsp red chilli powder
·       1/2 tsp garam masala powder
·       1/2 tsp coriander powder
·       1/2 tsp turmeric powder
·       1/2 tsp dry mango powder/amchoor
·       Salt to taste.
·       3 tbsp oil
·       Water as needed 150 gms dried white peas
·       Mix farsan as needed
·       Pav buns as needed
·       Coriander leaves to garnish

Method:

1.               Wash and soak dried white peas overnight. 
2.               Drain water and add new water and boil peas with a little salt to 1 whistle. They should be cooked soft but not mushy.  Keep them aside.
3.               Chop onion garlic ginger and green chillies.
4.              In a pan, heat 2 tbsp oil, add half of the chopped onion and rest keep aside for later use. Sauté onion for a minute or two.
5.               Add ginger, garlic and green chillies and again sauté for a minute.
6.              Add chopped tomatoes and let it cook for a minute or two again.
7.               Finally reduce heat and add grated coconut. Mix well and remove in plate to cool. 
8.               Grind this mixture to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
9.              In same pan, heat the remaining oil and add cumin seeds.
10.       Once it splutters add the rest of masala and sauté it for half a minute. Be careful as masala would burn fast.
11.      To this, add the paste we made earlier and mix well. Add water as needed to get right consistency which is almost gravy type. Let it boil for a minute or two and add salt here.
12.      Finally add the boiled peas which we kept aside earlier. Mix and let it boil for few minutes till the dish looks like peas gravy type.
13.     Your usal is done here. Usal means just the gravy here which can be had as it is with pav.

In the morning we had this with chapatti.

As I had expected that the peas will get overcooked I had switched off the pressure cooker after 1 whistle.

 But do not forget the power of salt it needed some more boiling another ½ whistle. How to give this? So boil it outside in you pan for a longer time.

This I am mentioning for noticed in the office that the peas were a bit undercooked.  

This gave me a sense of security that since
1. Usal is not enjoyed &
 2. It is undercooked there will be plenty leftover so that I make the changes I feel that are needed.

Was I in for a surprise? 

The amount of usal that left was enough to feed my daughters.

What about the rest of us namely my FIL, hubby and me?  But then I was in no mood to make something new also there was some leftover veggie, also I was sure that this was a fluke (I do not know why I thought this).

 I decided to boilthe usal with some more water. I added about 2 times the volume of the misal and added a tsp of Kolhapuri kanda lasun masala. This masala is known as Kolhapuri kanda lasun masala but is used extensively by the people in Bijapur etc. Basically the same belt and was made by my maid for her use. I use it when I want a slight masala but all the aromas of a well balanced masala. Try it!!

Mixed all the ingredients covered the pan left it simmering on low flame till I finished all my evening jobs about 30-45 minutes.

Daughters were drawn in by the delicious aroma and were awaiting for their father to come back from his exercise with the pav.

They had it the moment he stepped in (Surprises never cease)!!

How does one have misal? 

Meena has explained it again as,” But we are making misal, so next part is easy now. In a bowl,   put the usal gravy, top it with  mix farsan and some of the remaining chopped onions, garnish with  coriander leaves.  Serve it hot with pav. How to eat: Mix the things in the bowl and enjoy with pav. Simple enough, isn't it? “

 I had expected that I will have to tell my hubby that he has to have bread and cheese  with the leftover veggie for dinner but surprisingly the usal was just enough.

Also I had thought that since Hubby will not eat misal I will take pictures in the morning but how wrong can a person get?

These pictures were all I got( thank God for it), plus a compliment that” Mamma use have made misal with peas and differently. It tastes great!! “

 Great that no one noticed that the gravy and the usal had separated. Even I noticed it in the pic. :) I served it with sev as that was all I had.

Thanks for the great tasting recipe Meena. Ever grateful!!

O these are notes that Meena has provided which I feel are apt so I have pasted these too.

 Notes:
·       Misal pav is usually quite spicy in the interiors of Maharashtra and in some places instead of peas; sprouted matki or moth bean is used along with boiled potatoes.
·        The masala also changes its way in the interiors. 
·        Mix farsan is mostly mixture and at most places chiwda is used but be careful as chivda tends to get soggy.
This is my addition
·       At  the Pawankhind Resort at Amba Valley  we also has kande pohe, dahi and lime  along with pav for those interested.





All rights reserved on photographs and written content are copy-written @The Mad Scientist’s Kitchen!! unless mentioned. Please Ask First
  Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. wow archana, u did it very well and ur explanations made me smile
    i felt as if u r telling me face to face all this happend
    i mean u were connecting with ur readers which is really good

    wow glad all of u liked it and kolhapuri masala has to be the spiciest as i have heard
    as in interiors most use this masala

    i have had spicy versions leaving me smoking out of eyes nose ears hehee

    love it well done archana

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go Archana!! So delicious and yummy!!! Am still not yet done!! hoping to do it soon!!!
    Sowmya

    Ongoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat Flour
    Ongoing Event - Let's Party - Eggless Bakes and Treats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tempting,can have this anytime..love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Archana .... Recipe looks great !!!
    Nicely explained ... Love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me drool again, misal pav looks absolutely irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow awesome work dear..Loved your write up too, has all tips and tricks in it!!! Finally hope the misal came out good and hope your daughters enjoyed them!! Good one and thanks for linking back too :)
    Mixed Vegetable Soup - Post From A Reader

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious Archana! iam yet to try this

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am yet to try this recipe you have made it perfectly.Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very yummy and delicious misal.

    today's recipe:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2012/12/uzhunnu-vada-methu-vada-urad-dal-savory.html

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright