Friday, 25 January 2013

Lapsi a Maharashtrian Delicacy


“Lapsi” this is a very delicious porridge that is great breakfast dish for young and old alike. The pro in “Lapsi’s”   favour is that its light to digest and very filling and most importantly very healthy.

But making “Lapsi” is tedious process. You need to soak the wheat to make the “Lapsi” for 3 days. The water is to be changed every day and on the third day the wheat is ground. The ground batter is strained and then the strained mixture is used to make “Lapsi”.

Tiring and backbreaking… and very difficult to manage with the help I had on a regular basis.

But   I was determined to feed Akanksha with “Lapsi”. I did this once! And realised it’s not possible for me to do this on regular basis. That’s when my husband’s aunt told me an easier way.

I do not think that the taste is like what you make with the soaked wheat but the baby does not lose out on the health factor.


So let us make “Lapsi” for this you will need

Ingredients:

·        1 tblspn heaped rava
·        Water
·        ¼  tsp jeera powder
·        Salt to taste

Method:

·        In a small katori add little water, drain and then add enough water to soak the rava.
·        Cover and keep aside overnight.
·        In the morning drain the water and reserve it. Transfer the contents to the chutney jar and grind to a fine paste using water if necessary. Measure.
·        In a thick bottomed or copper based vessel measure double the amount of water (use the reserved water also).
·        Add sufficient salt and jeera powder bring to boil.  Lower the flame.
·        Now add the ground paste in the boiling water stirring constantly.
·        The “lapsi” is done when it is smooth and is shiny
·        Cool and feed your baby.

Notes:

For added flavour you can grind a spring of coriander.



Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#24

Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like myFacebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. I have had only sweet lapsi so far.. this is new to me. Must try is sooonnn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat a healthy food, prefect for the toddlers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy lapsi, will try itfor sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was expecting the regular Gujarati sweet version of Lapsi. :)
    I should say this recipe came across a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made the Gujarati version of this . Yours looks yummy too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious...

    Helen
    http://myworldmyhome2012.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow sounds like an interesting recipe...would love to try

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, a new dish for me....never heard of it....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing; heard about it but did not know the method.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never tried this version , looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another new one to know Archana..thanks for sharing..as suma said I too was expecting something else..:)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright