Tousule is a Goan delicacy made in the rainy season.
Why rains? Well cucumbers the main ingredient of Tousule is grown in plenty in the hilly areas and is sold not only on the roads but also in the markets. Its common sight for the farmers themselves selling the freshly plucked cucumbers. Also one more ingredient the turmeric leaf that is used to give a delicious aroma to the Tousule.
Traditionally the Tousule is made out of rice suji or rava or wheat rava fine or thick kind, cashew nuts, coconut and jaggary are used to create this beautiful steamed delicacy called Tousule.
When Kalyani announced the Magic Mingle of cucumber and walnuts I was sure I will never make it. Then I saw Gayatri post of zucchini bread and something went click in my head and I thought Tousule.
Well if you are a regular visitor here you will know sweets, let me clarify some sweets, are unmentionables in my place this happens to be one of them. I made minimum quantity of 1 katori. But please let me not put you guys off the Tousule it is amazing. Do try it out.
· 1 measure of grated cucumber, peeled and seeds removed
· ½ measure of dalia
· 1 measure of rava
· I tbspn ghee+ some more to grease
· 1 measure of coconut
· 150 grms of jaggary
· Cardamom powder
· Cashew nuts and walnuts
· A pinch of salt
· Fresh turmeric leaf( I did not have so did not use)
· Pressure cooker vent removed
· A big bowl for steaming
· Banana leaf (optional)
· Squeeze the grated cucumber and collect the juice in a container.
· In the cucumber juice, add the jaggery and let it soak.
· Heat the wok and on low flame add the a little ghee. Fry the walnut pieces, slightly remove add the cashew nuts and fry till golden. Set aside.
· Add the dalia and stir fry on low flame till the dalia browns slightly. Now add the rava and continue frying till you get a lovely aroma of fried suji/rava. Remove from the flame and let it cool.
· Now check the jaggary, has it become a mushy paste? If not crush the the jaggery with your fingers. It will be easier now.
· Add the coconut, cardamom powder, salt the cashew nuts and walnuts ( reserve a few to garnish)to the jaggary and set aside.
· Once the rava has cooled add the rava to the jaggary mixture and let it sit for at least ½ an hour.
· After the end of the ½ hour mix the cucumber in the mixture.
· Wipe and grease a banana leaf. Line a bowl with it.
· Put enough water in the pressure cooker place the grid in it and set to boil.
· If you are using turmeric leaves make small knotted balls out of them.
· Now in the greased and lined bowl add the prepared mixture. Insert the turmeric balls at intervals.
· Place in the bowl in the boiling water cover with another piece of the banana leaf. Cover the pressure cooker, steam for 12 minutes.
· After the 12 minutes; let the bowl cool. And the gently remove the tousale.
· Let it cool before you cut and serve it.
I have used dalia and rava as I had run out of dalia.
Turmeric leaf gives a lovely aroma in case you cannit lay you hands on it try the basmati rice leaf. I am told its awesome.
Please wait till the Tousule cools completely before you cut it else the end result is what I have here a messy mass in which you have to hunt for lovely cubes. I was in a hurry as the light was fading.