Monday, 14 April 2014

Vegetable Stew~Indian State Kerala

Vegetable Stew~Indian State Kerala

Today on day 14 we are at  Kerala  so let us explore cuisine from here.

The cuisine of Kerala is rich due to its history, geography, demography and culture of the land. Kerala cuisine has a multitude of both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes prepared using fish, poultry and red meat.

Kerala Gods own country evokes thoughts of food and coconut. According to Wikipedia
“Coconuts grow in abundance in Kerala, and consequently, coconut kernel, (sliced or grated) coconut cream and coconut milk are widely used in dishes for thickening and flavouring. Kerala's long coastline, numerous rivers and backwater networks, and strong fishing industry have contributed to many sea and river food based dishes. Rice and cassava (Tapioca) form the staple food of Kerala. All main dishes are made with them and served along with Kootan; the side dishes which may be made from vegetables, meat, fish or a mix of all of them. The main dish for lunch and dinner is boiled rice. The Kerala breakfast shows a rich variety; the main dishes for which are made from rice flour, or fresh or dried cassava. Owing to the weather and the availability of spices, the Kerala cuisine is richly spicy especially the hot ones -chilli, black pepper, cardamom,  cloves,  ginger and cinnamon.”



With this in the background what else can we have but Vegetable Stew?

This stew is something my MIL made every so often. I loved it, actually when she made it I had no thoughts of coping down the why should I? Anytime I felt like eating it I could request her to make it. But now when I wanted to make it I had to search the net for something that matched my memories. 

 I had bookmarked this recipes ages and ages ago but made it specially now. Actually I wanted to make appam to go with it but did not because I wanted to test the grounds before attempting something else new on my Guinea pigs at home!!! Basically for every time we have visited Kerala the girls and hubby have starved. I do not know why they do not like the food there, breakfast yes they love it but then lunch and dinner we would rather not talk.  So I was naturally hesitant... 

So I have not used coconut oil to get the authentic taste please use coconut oil.
Vegetable Stew~Indian State Kerala

Vegetable Stew

Indian State: Kerala
Recipe Source:Maria's Menu
Ingredients:
  • 1 carrot, cubed
  • 1 potato, cubed
  • ¼ cup green peas
  • 1 onion, sliced finely
  • 4-5 green chillis
  • 1 tbsp ginger, crushed
  • 1 tbsp garlic, crushed
  • ½ tsp whole black pepper
  • 1 piece cinnamon
  • 3 lavang/cloves
  • 3 cardamoms
  • 1 ½ cup thin coconut milk
  • ¾ cup thick coconut milk
  • Curry leaves
  •  Salt
  • 1 tbsp oil

 Method:
  • With a mortar pestle crush the black pepper, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.
  • Heat oil in a deep bottom pan drop in the crushed spices let them splutter.
  • Add the onion, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and green chili and sauté for a few minutes till the onion becomes soft and transparent.  Take care not to brown the onions.
  • Add the cubed vegetables and mix well.
  • Add thin coconut milk and salt, bring to boil.
  • Reduce heat and let the mixture simmer till vegetables are tender.
  • Add thick coconut milk and cook for 5 more minutes & remove from fire.
  • Garnish with curry leaves fried in coconut oil or ghee.
  • Traditionally this is served hot with appam, puttu, roti etc; We had it with rice.

Notes:

  •  If you want to make the gravy very thick, add 6-7 cashew nuts ground to a paste.
Vegetable Stew~Indian State Kerala



Stew has a thumbs up from both Apeksha and hubby! So this can be made yet again!!






Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 39 Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too! Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Your stew looks very good Archana..with appam this is ultimate..

    ReplyDelete
  2. same pinch..i made it too..but yours looks much more creamier n tastier

    ReplyDelete
  3. so authentic and so delicious... looks so elegant too:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. So the recipe has memories...and if you get a thums up..it sure is something to feel proud of.great job Arcahana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerala stew are always welcome at home, we love them with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So did this recipe match the taste from your memory?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post dear!! stew looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious stew. Looks so inviting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stew looks amazing and really the recipe is so authentic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious looking stew..wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i made veg stew too and i loved it.. yours looks tasty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good one. Even I have an aversion with coconut oil in cooking so can empathize with your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. coconut milk stew looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  14. Same pinch.. I made vegetable stew too. Looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stew looks creamy and delicious ! I wanted to make avial but was afraid husband might not like it and did a fish curry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow such an tempting and creamy vegetable stew :) I love them a lot with appams , tempting me !!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright