One of the curries my MIL prepared in summer was Kooyad! I could just remember the name not the ingredients and that it is made in summer… big help that it was!
I asked on the whatsup group about making of this curry both in the BM group and the family group.
My elder SIL, Seema rang me up. She told me since she cannot type all this on the mobile she is ringing me up. How I wish she had written I just would have copied and pasted! :D
So what is Koyaad? It’s a piquant curry prepared from the seeds of a mango! Koy in Marathi is the hard seed of Mango! After cutting up the raw mango for pickle, she used make a lot of them you are left with the seed which has some of the fruit but it cannot be used.
What better representative of Maharashtra where you are encouraged not waste foodstuff!
How do you make it?
Indian State: Maharashtra
- 4-5 mango seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp mango pickle masala
- 1 lemon sized ball Jaggary (adjust as per taste)
- In a pan take a non reactive one okay that’s too big a word steel container add mango seeds.
- Cover them with water. A little above the seeds, say 2 cups of water and boil it, say 10 minutes( next time one whistle in the cooker).
- Cool the water. Then remove all except 2 seeds out and remove the pulp of the mangoes. Discard the seeds.
- In the chutney pot of the mixer mash the mango pulp to a smooth consistency.
- In a kadhai/wok heat the oil and add mustard seeds.
- Add the mango pulp, jaggary, salt, pickle masala, the reserved mango seeds and bring to boil.
- Once it thicken a little your koyaad is ready.
- Serve with rice.
- Adjust the jaggary as per taste. You will need more or less jaggary depending upon your taste and the sourness of the mangoes.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 40
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!