Thursday, 8 May 2014

Mango Murabba /Amba cha Murabba/Green Mango Preserve

 
Mango Murabba /Amba cha Murabba/Green Mango Preserve


Our mothers were great homemakers. They used to work hard to preserve natures bounties for the times when its not available. We used to live in a colony in 7 Jeevan Vikas, Ramdaspeth, Nagpur. The ladies in the colony use to get together and make sauces, jams, pickles and papad etc.

After school, it used to be ½ day school once we stepped in summer; we used to just follow the laughter and the noise to find Amma. Invariably the aunty of the house used to feed us all, buy all I mean all the kids and we used to change and come to help. This used to be especially fun when there were papad being made.

A legitimate reason to venture out and lots of raw dough to eat! O what fun it was!

But in winter the fun was all packed up before we came back from school. The only time we knew that Amma   has had her cooking expedition was when we were served what she made.

We love sweets Amma made jams and murabba every year. We had all kinds of murabba right from amla, karvanda to raw mango murabba. They lasted for almost a year almost because a new flavour came along and the old one was termed as,” not so good.”

A murabba is a preserve of a fruit in thick sugar syrup which is flavoured with cardamom. I have come to learn about using dalchini/cinnamon and laung/cloves fairly recently and cannot bring myself to add them to my murabba. Hope I will some day they are great spices.

Enjoy this murabba with chapattis. Now I understand they are enjoyed with spicy rotis and khakras too.


The methodology is same the raw fruit is boiled before it’s added to the sugar syrup.

According to Tarla Dalal these murabba can be preserved in a refrigerator for 6 months. I have grated the mangoes but you can cut them in 1 inch cubes.

Mango Murabba

Makes 3 cups 
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups /250 grams raw mangoes, peeled and grated
  • 2 cups/400 grams sugar 
  • 2 sticks cinnamon (optional) 
  • 2 cloves (optional) 
  • ½ tsp elichi/cardamom seeds, powdered
Method:
  •  Like me, if you have grated the mangoes then add 1 cup of water. Stir well and boil the grated mango, do not cover, till it softens up. You can see the differences so don’t worry. This will take maximum 3 minutes.  But if you have cut them in pieces then boil 1 cup of water in a pan, add the mango pieces and cook uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes until the mango pieces are soft.
  • Drain the mangoes reserve the mango stock.
  • In another pan mix the sugar, the mango stock and ½ cup of water and bring to a boil stir occasionally till the sugar dissolves.
  •  Add the mango grating/pieces, cinnamon and laung/cloves (if using) to the sugar syrup and cook on low flame till the syrup is of two string consistency. (See notes for testing the syrup consistency).
  • Get the pan off the stove then add the cardamom seeds powder and mix well.
  • Let it cool completely.
  •  Bottle in a sterilised glass jars.
  • You can serve it with chapatti. My friend loves it aloo paratha. 




Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright