|Ranjka/Thecha ~ A Chilli Preserve|
In Karnataka it’s traditional to make Ranjka also known as Thecha in Maharashtra. This was true as long as Amma could manage it. There used to be pickles, jams and sauces made according to the season. So in the season when red chilles were available ranjka was made.
Not that I was keen to eat it but the pounding of ranjka in the mortar and pestle, in kannada mortar is vallu and pestle is harikol was our job. I used to start with enthusiasm and Chetana my sister, used to finish always grumbling that I never finish what I start.
Ranjka is made of red chillies and many a times garlic is not added. I had too many green chillies (never tell all the family members going out to get chillies) so I made this with green chillies. The flavours were just as hot!
Indian State: Karnataka /Maharashtra
- 15 green chillies
- 6 pods garlic
- 2 ½ tblspn oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch fenugreek powder
- Pinch asafoetida
- Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- In the chutney pot of the mixer grind chillies and garlic.
- In a kadhai/wok heat oil and splutter the mustard seeds.
- Immediately add fenugreek powder and asafoetida.
- Add the ground paste to the oil and stif fry till the oil comes out.
- Get off the flame Add salt and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Serve with bhakari and zunka.
- I use this to add flavour to the Bombay pav bhaji while re frying the veggie on the tava.
- Try a minuscule in Misal Pav too.