|Vegetable Thupka ~ A DeliciousVegetarian Noodle Soup|
For the recent mega marathon, for the benefit of those who land here for the first time I have participated in 2 marathons. One is the Alphabet marathon the second was the Indian Food Odyssey where we have taken up the challenge of various Indian states and the food there. The NE states gave is a lot of problems not only there are very few documented online but most of the dishes are non vegetarian.
For Sikkim I was to make Momos and Thupka. I made them twice now but not together as my girls went gaga the first time and I had none left to take pictures. The second time they told me they want a Momos feast. Which translates as” nothing else acceptable” they will just eat Momos. By the time I made the mountain of Momos needed plus the regular cooking for the rest of the family members I was in no mood to make Thupka. My excuse was anyway no one will eat it.
Thukpa is a famous noodle soup recipe from the north-east region of India it was something that we enjoyed so I made it again.
This time I made one bowl of soup on Saturday and took some pictures in the afternoon so in the evening when the hungry hordes descended I had absolutely no reservations of serving this delicious soup.
Thanks Valli for sharing this soup on the group id had it not been for you I would be trying to remake a non-veg recipe in veggie one. To make this soup I used my own adaptations. Some ingredients because they are not much appreciated I have left out.
Here is what I left out coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, spinach (as I did not have any in my pantry).
Thukpa is a famous noodle soup recipe from the north-east region of India! Try this light and heart warming recipe today!
- 2 tblspn butter
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 4 medium onions, chopped fine
- 6-7 cloves garlic +6 cloves
- ½ tsp chilli powder (adjust as per taste)
- A pinch turmeric
- 2 large potatoes
- ½ cup cabbage cut in juliennes strips + 4-5 leaves
- ¼ cup carrots, juliennes + 1 carrot
- ¼ cup peas(optional)
- 1 packet Hakka noodles (I used Ching’s)
- Salt to taste
Make the Stock:
- First make the vegetable stock (actually this resides in my freezer once it starts raining) all the leftover vegetable scrapes like the cauliflower middle stalk, the cabbage leaves, carrots, 1 onion, potatoes + 6 cloves garlic, the peppercorns pressure cook with 6 cups of water in the pressure cooker. Say about 3 whistles.
- Let the pressure drop naturally mash up the vegetables then strain the liquid.
- This liquid is the stock. As I do not want to waste the goodness of the veggies I generally grind up the veggies and use it to thicken my broth. Then add water to make it a little watery, say 1 cup. (I know I need not add all the veggies but ...)
- Heat butter, add ginger, onions and garlic sauté for a few minutes.
- Add a the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil.
- Add noodles. Cook till noodles soften
- Add some spinach (if using) and the cabbage and carrots and peas .Switch off the gas.
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!