Sunday, 24 August 2014

How to make Vegetable Stock



This is a delicious vegetable stock recipe. I will vouch for the recipe or rather my kids will. This mixture was quietly simmering away on the gas but something drew the girls in the kitchen. They checked what was on the gas and came back to ask me what was I making.  “The aroma Mamma” they said,” it’s delicious.”
So try it and you will love it.



 You can add or remove vegetable like I have added mushrooms you may or may not. Believe me both ways the stock and the soup made from it is awesome.  The only thing that you need is time. It takes a full  hour to get ready.

Vegetable Stock

Recipe Source: All Recipes 
Ingredients:
  • 2 large onions
  • 2 medium carrots
  • 4-5 mushrooms (optional)
  • 3 stalks of cauliflower (optional)
  • 3 stalks of celery
  • 1 whole bulb of garlic
  • 10 peppercorns
  • 1 bay leaf

 Method:
  • Chop the vegetables into large chunks.
  • Remove and discard leaves from the celery stalks. Celery leaves, especially those on the outside of the bunch, are bitter and should not be added.
  • Slice the celery into large pieces.
  • Scrub the carrots under cold running water chop the carrots into large pieces.
  • Garlic is the base flavour for this stock, so use a whole bulb of garlic. 
  • Break up the bulb into individual cloves. Peel the garlic. There’s no need to chop the garlic.
  • Drop all the ingredients in a large pot large enough to hold the covering water.
  • Add pepper corns and a bay leaf. Pour enough water into the stockpot to completely immerse the vegetables.
  • Switch on the gas and on high flame and bring the stock to a quick boil.
  • Once the water has begun to boil, turn the stove down to low.
  •  Allow the vegetables to simmer for an hour. Any longer than an hour and the vegetables will begin to turn mushy and begin to lose all their vibrant flavour.
  • Strain your stock through a fine mesh or cheesecloth placed in a colander.
  • The stock should be light in colour, sweet, and translucent.


Notes:
  • An interesting trick to making delicious, thick vegetable stock is to use potato water strained from mashed potatoes along with (or instead of) water!
  • You can also add herbs or scraps leftover from other dishes. Potato scraps will help thicken the stock a little. Parsley, thyme, or rosemary stems are other good additions. If you're planning on using this stock in an Asian recipe, try adding fresh, peeled ginger.
  • If you want a darker collared stock, caramelize the onions and carrots before placing them in the stockpot. Alternately, roast the vegetables until caramelized, and then add them to the pot.
  • This stocked can be frozen for use later.
Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook ChallengeAugust -- Week 4'.


Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I do make homemade stock but very rarely as we get them easily in stores, nothing can beat this..Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. useful tip! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious and lovely looking veg stock. Wonderfully prepared,
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great one to stock handy Archana...very good recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  5. healthy useful post dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely basic recipe - I also add coriander seed and cloves when I make mine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flavorful vegetable stock. I am sure the house is filled aroma when making this stock

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright