Monday, 22 September 2014

Chilled Gazpacho for Spain

Chilled Gazpacho

Most of my international recipes are from what I have read in Mills n Boon! How I still adore those books … now I have slightly “upgraded” myself and I read Percy Jackson and his antics! Maybe when the kiddo starts reading M&B I will do the same again!

There was such book where the heroine is served delicious “gazpacho’ soup! The author went on describing the soup and I was surprised that there is chilled soup! Soup to my mind is to be served hot! Before the meal and generally it fills me up so much that I want hardly any dinner! Boooooooo! What a punishment for a foodie !

But exceptions prove the rule “Gazpacho" is cool, refreshing and flavourful start to a meal on a hot summer day. Gazpacho can be had from a soup bowl, or drink it from a glass.

This soup originates in the southern part of Spain called Andalusia. It is tasty, refreshing and very healthy, since it is made from nothing but fresh vegetables and a bit of oil and vinegar.

So this summer I am going to do what Spaniards do - Make a batch of /gazpacho/ and keep it in a glass pitcher in the refrigerator for whenever you need a cool drink.

So today in the Mega marathon which we call as “ Around the World in 30 Days” lets visit Spain.

Gazpacho

Recipe Source: Adapted from here and here

 Ingredients:
  • 1.5 kgs/10-12 ripe tomatoes
  • 2 slices of white bread, crust removed
  • 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
  • 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 green capsicum, washed, de seeded, coarsely chopped
  • 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • salt to taste

Garnish: 
  • 3-4 croutons (optional)

Method:
  • Make a cross cut on the tomatoes near the stalk.
  • Boil 3 litres of water, switch off the gas. Drop the tomatoes in the water. There should be enough water for the tomatoes to soak. Let them stand for 30 minutes.
  • After 30 minutes drain and peel the tomatoes, remove the seeds and drop them in the blender.
  • Meanwhile soak the bread in a little water.
  • Add the softened bread to the tomatoes.
  • Add the capsicum, cucumber garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper to the blender jar.
  • Make a smooth paste. In case all the ingredients do not fit in the  blender jar make the paste in batches.
  • Mix well. The gazpacho should have a creamy texture and should not be too thick or watery.
  • Chill the gazpzcho in the fridge for a couple of hours.
  • Just before serving spoon in glasses top with spring onion and crotons.
Chilled Gazpacho




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 44

Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!

Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. My friend use to read lot of M&B and she got me into reading these books when we were in college. Chilled gazpacho is a nice refreshing soup to start a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thick and creamy. The soup looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very delicious chilled soup, my all time favourite soup especially during summer, easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I can't imagine drinking a chilled soup myself, I won't mind making it for others..and nice to know these ideas stem from M&Bs..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this no-cook, refreshing soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am yet to try chilled soup. But looking at the ingredients, I just need to try it. Looks so inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Refreshing soup with no cooking. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somehow, I never liked M&B even in college days! And coming to this soup,this is something that I would love to try out this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect soup , love to taste it.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright