Most of my international recipes are from what I have read in Mills n Boon! How I still adore those books … now I have slightly “upgraded” myself and I read Percy Jackson and his antics! Maybe when the kiddo starts reading M&B I will do the same again!
There was such book where the heroine is served delicious “gazpacho’ soup! The author went on describing the soup and I was surprised that there is chilled soup! Soup to my mind is to be served hot! Before the meal and generally it fills me up so much that I want hardly any dinner! Boooooooo! What a punishment for a foodie !
But exceptions prove the rule “Gazpacho" is cool, refreshing and flavourful start to a meal on a hot summer day. Gazpacho can be had from a soup bowl, or drink it from a glass.
This soup originates in the southern part of Spain called Andalusia. It is tasty, refreshing and very healthy, since it is made from nothing but fresh vegetables and a bit of oil and vinegar.
So this summer I am going to do what Spaniards do - Make a batch of /gazpacho/ and keep it in a glass pitcher in the refrigerator for whenever you need a cool drink.
So today in the Mega marathon which we call as “ Around the World in 30 Days” lets visit Spain.
Recipe Source: Adapted from here and here
- 1.5 kgs/10-12 ripe tomatoes
- 2 slices of white bread, crust removed
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 green capsicum, washed, de seeded, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt to taste
- 3-4 croutons (optional)
- Make a cross cut on the tomatoes near the stalk.
- Boil 3 litres of water, switch off the gas. Drop the tomatoes in the water. There should be enough water for the tomatoes to soak. Let them stand for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes drain and peel the tomatoes, remove the seeds and drop them in the blender.
- Meanwhile soak the bread in a little water.
- Add the softened bread to the tomatoes.
- Add the capsicum, cucumber garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper to the blender jar.
- Make a smooth paste. In case all the ingredients do not fit in the blender jar make the paste in batches.
- Mix well. The gazpacho should have a creamy texture and should not be too thick or watery.
- Chill the gazpzcho in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Just before serving spoon in glasses top with spring onion and crotons.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 44
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!