Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Simiti or Simit or Turkish Sesame Rings

Simiti  or Simit

For the month Swati of Baking Partners has challenged us to make  Simiti  or Simit from here. I was relieved for i had already made this delicious bread. With the month long marathon at my space and all of sick I did not have too much tension.
Then I began thinking where is the post? Cannot see it at my wordpress site or here on blogspot!! I could locate it on my facebook page. The FB page led me to the domain I had and which crashed without any way of recovering it. I lost so many delicious posts. Boy was I upset?

Luckily for me I had the draft and pics. So for me it’s a repost. I hope you don’t mind Swati.
This is my repost....

"For the month of February Aparna had given us a freehand and we could bake anything we choose. Now there are many that I wanted to bake some are from the challenges that I had missed in the past. But I had made the petimezi/ grape juice thickened in the fridge.  So I made Simitia/Koulouria these were to be made for Eggless Baking, Gayatri’s brainchild.
So enjoy these for we We Knead to Bake

Simiti  or Simit

Recipe Source: My Little Expat Kitchen
Makes 10 Simiti or Simit
Ingredients:
For the bread:
  • 3 tsp active Yeast
  • 5 cups Flour/ Maida
  • 2 tblspn  Sugar
  • 1 cup Lukewarm Milk
  • 1 cup Lukewarm Water
  • 2 tblspn Olive Oil + extra for oiling the mould
  • 1 tsp salt

For the coating:
  • 1 ½ cups Til/Sesame Seeds
  • 1/3 cup petimezi /grape juice thickened
  • ¼ cup water


Method:
  • First make the Petimezi. I have just done nothing but followed the instructions here. As usual I did not follow any measures just crushed and strained the grapes and boiled it stirring constantly. I have done the job in a thick bottomed kadhai/wok on a low flame. 
  • In a medium bowl mix the milk, water and sugar. Add the yeast and mix well. Set aside in a warm corner to proof.
  • Meanwhile in a large bowl mix together flour, salt, and oil.
  • Add yeast mixture to make soft and slightly sticky dough.
  • Transfer the dough to the counter and knead for 10 minutes until soft and elastic.
  • Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap and allow it to double for 1 hour.
  • While the dough is resting roast the sesame seeds till slightly brown and aromatic. Remove and cool.
  • In a bowl mix together the petimezi thickened grape juice and water. Set aside.
  • Preheat oven to 180°C. (The original recipe says 200°C but I baked at 180°C).
  • Now deflate the dough and divide into 10 equal portions. 
  • Divide each portion into two and roll each portion into a 30 cm long rope.
  • Attach at one end both the rolls and twist both together to form a braid.
  • Make a ring by sealing both the ends to form a braided ring. Repeat with all the portions.
  • Dip the ring in petimezi /grape juice and place it on the sesame seeds.
  • Coat the ring completely with the seeds.
  • Place the coated ring on a baking tray.
  • Complete all the rings.  
  • Transfer to the oven directly they do not need second proofing.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes until nicely browned.
  • Remove from oven and serve it hot or warm.
  • Serve slathered with butter, jam or chocolate spread and enjoy!!
  • Mine disappeared without any spreads. 


Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. This is one of the recipes I bookmarked first for this marathon but went ahead with another country later. Those rings look very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright