Monday, 12 January 2015

Kabuli Chana Biryani

 
Kabuli Chana Biryani


 Hubby dear went to Pune and brought some readymade masalas. One of them was a Biryani masala. I had forgotten all about it till I had the girls reorganising the kitchen shelves. That is when we discovered the packet of masala.

Now the girls are crazy about Biryani, okay anything other than the normal food of chapatti, veggie, rice and dal. So they started their regular ‘wear mamma down’ procedure. 

In case you do not know then it starts like,
” Mamma you do not make anything these days!”
“See,” the other one will say, “when Papa went to Pune and bought this masala. It’s still lying here. It will expire soon huh!”
“Make no. Please.”

Then the regular,” I will help.” The help many times is just in eating, as by the time they get up everything is cooked and on the table!

I know all this but still end up making what they want me to make. One such dish was this Biryani, actually it was a fast one. Took me just 1 hour and 15 minutes as it needed marinating for one hour.  Can actually cut down on the marinating time buy doing it earlier evening the taste will be much much better.

When I made it I shared it on face book as baked Biryani actually only the last bit is baked.

I took these pictures in the morning thinking I will get better pictures later. My mistake, it was on face book , Apeksha tagged  to it, so I had already advertised what I had made, sab kaam tamam by the time I came back in the evening!

Kabuli Chana Biryani

Kabuli Chana Biryani
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup kabuli chana/white chick peas, soaked overnight and boiled
  • 2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
  • 1 ½ tblspn Biryani masala
  • 2 onions, ground
  • 2 tomatoes, pureed
  • 5 tblspn oil
  • A pinch of hing/asafoetida
  • 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
  • ½ cup curd
  • A few springs of dhania/ coriander leaves
  • A few springs of pudina/mint
  • 2 green chillies
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 tblspn ghee

Method:
  • Drain the chana and reserve the water.
  • Measure the reserved water and make it 1 ½ cup adding more water.
  • Add to the rice, check the seasoning and cook on low flame till the water is absorbed and the rice is ¾ done.
  • Cool and fluff the rice.
  • Grind 1 onion, the coriander leaves, mint green chillies, ginger garlic paste.
  • Add to the chana along with the curd and 1 tblspn of the Biryani masala. Mix well and set aside for 1 hour.
  • Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadhai/wok add the other onion fry till the raw smell goes away.
  • Add the tomato puree, hing/asafoetida and fry till brown.
  • Add the rest of the Biryani masala, the marinated kabuli chana, salt and stir well and cook covered for 5 minutes.
  • Take an oven proof casserole and smear it with 1 tsp ghee.
  • Spread a layer of rice, and then spread the kabuli chana layer. Repeat let the last layer be the rice.
  • Pour the ghee on top.
  • Cover the whole thing with and aluminium foil and bake at 180°C for 10 minutes.
  • Peel the aluminium foil just before serving.

 
Kabuli Chana Biryani


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#48



Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!

 Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. looks flavourful deliciously done

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks a protein packed biriyani,yummy for kids lunch box :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the biryani was a big hit with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahh..love your daughter's banter..lovely biryanis you got done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are making me drool all over my laptop with your biryani BM, oh yum it is archana,wish i stay near to your place!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Archana, I was trying to imagine your expression on 'sab kaam tamam'. The girls really enjoyed the biryani it seems. You really have loads of patience to cook in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A delicious biryani and full of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Biryani looks tempting.I loved it too wheat made it last week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has been on my mind since s while now..looks so good Archana..tempted to make it right awsy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. using readymade masala makes this an easy one

    ReplyDelete
  11. Protein packed briyani, hard to resist to this beautiful one pot meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems like it was a hit with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the protein packed in that Biryani.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post Archana. Couldn't stop smiling reading your 'Sab kaam tamam' comment :-)
    Biryani is one of our favorite too. Your kabuli chana biryani looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very aromatic biryani packed with flavours...

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright