The day I make potatoes the girls eat! Really eat well!!
The versatile spud is used in amazingly different ways be it a vegetable or a starter or as a binding agent.
The theme for BM this time was making 3 from one ingredient. I made Country Wedges, Aloo Paratha and now Dum Aloo!
This recipe is from Vaishali’s place the only difference being Vaishali has stuffed the potatoes I have not.
Also like Vaishali has said this gravy is very rich and creamy. It can be used for any dish that you want to make special. Aloo, paneer, koftas, mix vegetables, anything would taste absolutely rich and delicious.
The girls cleaned the bowl of gravy, cleaned is literally with their roti.
Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Recipe Source: Ribbons and Pasta
- 2 onions, boiled and pureed
- 2 green chillies
- 1’’ piece ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8-10 cashews, soaked
- 1tbspn melon seeds
- 1tsp poppy seeds
Soak all these for an hour and make a paste.
Roast and grind:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 1 tblspn black cardamom
- 1tbspn green cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 tbspn small piece cinnamon
- 1 tblspn bay leaf
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 whole red chillies
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 4 tomatoes, blanched, pureed and strained
- 2tbspn fresh cream
- 1tsp. kasoori methi
- ½ tblspn ghee
- Salt to taste
For the vegetables:
- ½ kg potatoes, pricked
- Oil for frying
- Parboil the pricked potatoes in salted water.
- Drain, dry and deep fry in oil. Set aside.
For the Gravy:
- Heat oil and little ghee.
- Add the onion paste.
- Sauté till pink.
- Add paste 2 and give a good stir.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, cook till dry.
- Add the paste 3 and cook till dry.
- Add the ground spices.
- Mix well.
- Add water to get the desired consistency.
- Cook on slow fire till a little thick.
- Add fresh cream and kasori methi and switch off gas.
- Place the potatoes in the serving bowl, microwave for a few minutes.
- Pour the prepared gravy.
- Serve garnished with roti.
|Kashmiri Dum Aloo|
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!