Friday, 17 April 2015

Spinach Cheese Empanadas

Spinach Cheese Empanadas
Spinach Cheese Empanadas

Popeye and Olive Oyl!!

I am grateful to E.C.Segar, creator of these characters.


Thanks to his Popeye and Olive Oyl, my kids, (when they were younger and did not understand that hubby and I were hoodwinking them) ate greens as they wanted to be like Popeye not Olive Oyl!

Now they will feed me the greens if I try the stunt on them.

It’s difficult to believe my little one is in seventh and is as tall as I am. Must tell her because I fed her Spinach.

Coming to today’s recipe …

I made this long time ago when there is fresh spinach available in the fields. Actually I had made it for International Marathon we had. Never got round to posting it.

 I will love to “ #FireUpYourOven again for these.

Spinach Cheese Empanadas

Recipe source : here 
Ingredients:
Empanada Dough:
  • 2 ¾cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup water
  • ¾ cup salted butter
  • 1tsp salt
  • Pinch chilli powder
  • Spinach Cheese Filling:
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 2 tblspn olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp chilli powder
  • 200 grms fresh spinach stems removed, washed, chiffonade
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 225 grms mozzarella cheese, shredded or crumbled
  • 2 tblspn Parmesan cheese, grated
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Spinach Cheese Empanadas
Spinach Cheese Empanadas

Method:
Make the dough:
  • Heat water and butter in a small bowl over medium heat until butter has melted.
  • Mix flour and salt and chilli powder in a large mixing bowl.
  • Make a well in the Pour a little of the warm liquid in and stir with fingertips to make a wet paste.
  • Pour in remaining liquid and work the flour into the dough with your hand until you get wet, oily dough. 
  • Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Make the filling:
  • Heat the butter and olive oil in a medium kadhai/wok and sauté over medium-high heat until melted.
  • Add the minced garlic and red chilli powder and sauté until the garlic becomes fragrant.
  • Add the spinach and sauté until all the greens are wilted.
  • Remove from heat. Stir the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and cooked spinach together.
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Assemble the empanadas:
  • Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.
  • Tear off pieces of dough to roll about 12 large or 24 small balls of dough.
  • Using a rolling pin, roll out dough balls on lightly floured surface into circles thick circles as too thin dough because this filling can expand and burst the pastry if the dough is too thin or the empanada is over-stuffed with filling.
  • Place 2-3 tbsp of filling in the centre of each dough circle.
  • Fold over and press edges firmly to seal.
  • Rope, pinch the edges tightly.
  •  In this case, a good tight seal will also prevent oozing of cheese during the baking process. Place empanadas on cookie sheet and bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
  • Makes 12 large or 24 small empanadas.
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!

 Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. After making empanadas recently, I so much like these cuties. The filling with spinach sounds wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you presented the empanadas, in a lunch/paper bag. Cheese and spinach is a nice filling. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So tempting and yummy...

    The filling was so awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids still love spinach and I bet they would love this filling. :) Those empanadas sound yummy with that filling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it is difficult to feed spinach to many. Yes i am one of them but that doesn't stop me from baking these, i can always change the filling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spinach and cheese is such a flavorful combo. Empanadas look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The empanads are looking great. I wish I could have some. Good ones

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol archana, be prepared to eat greens and vegiies when they go to their new homes and invite you over for lunch :) this ones look great and the combo with cheese am sure even your popeyes wont mind

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never made these although I just try soon !! That paper bag click is so inviting :))
    And don't tell me ur LO is as tall as you ?? Wow .. Surely due to the spinach !! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spinach and cheese in empanadas asking me to grab and have some, best way to sneak greens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Empanadas looks so tempting,spinach and cheese combo is always a hit at my place..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always wanted to make empanadas, but never got a chance. Your spinach & cheese empanadas sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Archana, I have tried so hard to get mine eat showing them Popeye..it didn't help at all..only now they started liking spinach and only as palak paneer..:)..your empanadas are looking to inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spinach and cheese is an unmistake-able combo at our place. Love those golden beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this one but I can't eat spinach.. will try with some thing elce....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks very tempting arch!! my kiddos are fine with spinach as long as it is hidden inside something,or else it is a strict No No!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely bake Archana! I made something similar and called it calzones! Love the filling :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright