| Lemon Bars |
This month challenge is suggested
by Suja of Kitchen
corner try it. You can use any fruit, and any topping since this was my first
time I decided to stick to the recipe. Is it possible? Well I changed my pan.
Instead of the 9’ square pan I used the loaf pan which is 9 x 4 inches. That
will account for my thick bars. Also my bars fell in love with my tin so much they refused to come out for a pic. So you see my lemon muffins here. Guess I should have greased the tin a bit more.
Lemon Bars
Recipe source: The Secrets of
Baking, Sherry Yard and The Good
Cookie by Tish Boyle
Ingredients:
Basic
short crust recipe:
- 1 ¼ cups maida/all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 113 grms Amul butter cut into half inch cubes
For
the filling:
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tblspn lemon zest
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup lemon juice
- ½ cup condensed milk
- 3 tblspn all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2-3 drops yellow food colour
- Powdered sugar for dusting
Method:
To
make the crust:
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Butter your baking pan and set aside. Should have line pan with aluminum foil.
- If you have a food processor use it to mix flour, sugar and salt. Else use a whisk.
- Add pieces of butter and pulse 8-10 times till the mixture resembles coarse meal, if you are like me doing it manually use your fingertips.
- Process until the mixture forms large clumps and holds together when pinched between two fingers (around 15-20 seconds). Mix and try to bring the mixture together with your hands.
- Scrape dough into prepared pan and pat it into an even layer.
- Using a fork prick the dough at one inch intervals.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes till the edges become golden brown. I needed 30 minutes.
- Allow this to cool in the pan on a wire rack.
To
make the filling:
- Pulse sugar and lemon zest in a processor / mixer till it is fragrant.
- Beat eggs and mix the sugar and whisk till it is pale yellow colour.
- Add the condensed milk, lemon juice, flour and salt.
- Pour over the baked crust.
- Bake at 180°C for18-20 minutes or until just set and firm to touch. I needed about 30 minutes.
- Cool in room temperature and the place in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour before cutting into bars.
- To finish dust the top of each bar with powdered sugar and serve.
- Store lemon bars tightly warped in room temperature for two days or in the freezer for one week.
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!
Delicious Archana, By the way I love your pan too, now I know why lemon bar doesn't want to come out from there.
ReplyDeletetoo yummy,looks delicious!!
ReplyDeleteone of my favourites.
ReplyDeleteYou are talking of 9x4" but what I see is a circular pan!Is there something I have not understood?
ReplyDeleteKP Sir I made the bars but they refused to exit from the tin in one peice when the time came for the pics. So I just showcased this one that I made in the muffin tin from the leftover base and sauce.
ReplyDelete