Friday, 28 October 2011

Back to Roots~~ Butter Idli

F or quite some time I have wanted to make this special idli Butter Idli that my MIL used to make.

 It’s tricky as there is no urid daal in it and the consistency has to be absolutely correct.  I have already failed 3 times now.

So here is the recipe that I have already posted.


Ingredients:
4 cups rice
2 cups poha
1½ cups butter
Salt

Method:
1
1.      Wash & soak rice in sufficient water for minimum 12 hours.
2.     Grind to a fine paste the butter poha and rice. Use minimum water.
3.       Keep in a warm place to ferment when well fermented it is all bubbly, like a mild soda.
4.     Add salt & stir.
5.      Now grease an idli mould and fill with batter about a ladle is enough, but you could also use a vessel like I have used, in this case pour about ¼ ‘ height or a little about the width of your finger.
6.     Steam in the cooker without the weight for 20 minutes.
7.     Cool it completely to cut in pieces if you are using a vessel. In any case cool the idli before you remove it from the mould.
8.     Serve with coconut chutney.


Here is my plate where I ate it with tomato sauce as I have used mint in my chutney and I have been asked to stay off mint for medical reasons.

Sending this to my own event  Back to the Roots
Archana




7 comments:

  1. never had these butter idlis, sounds interesting, these idlis look so soft n spongy, no urad dal version is new to me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. TEMPTATION!!! HUGE tempataion - Wish I could devour a few right now :) Yummy Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like an interesting recipe. the idlis look really soft. BTW, 2 links in the post took me to different places and not to the recipe :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Special idly with butter... looks new to me.. will try this someday..

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright