Sunday, October 30, 2011

Coconut Semolina Cake~ Goan Bath

 To all Goans I am someone who is weird.
 At least most of my friends consider me strange as I don't use Naal or coconut, as it is known in Konkani, as much as they do. For most (read all) of their curries coconut is a must, be it fish curry or tonak.  They talk is 1 coconut or two and not having coconut at home is something equivalent to not having salt at home.

 Most Goan dishes sweets like Bebinca, Dodol are well known and are made of Coconut milk. Bath or Batkh as it sometimes pronounced is a delicious dish not too well known is made out of coconut and rava.



I would like to believe that mostly it’s the Catholics who make this for most of my Catholic friends have offered me this delicious dish. I may be wrong please feel free to correct me.

This recipe is given to me by Maria my friend who makes delicious Batkh and had given it to me ages ago and is written in my wonderful shorthand which I cannot fully decipher adding to the fact that the recipe is in tatters. Here goes.

Ingredients:
¼ kg rava or Semolina
¼ kg sugar
3 eggs
100 grms butter
½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ coconut
10 cardamoms’
Salt to taste

Method:
1.     Break open the coconut and reserve the water. Scrape it and grind with a little water to a thick paste. (My Bai had already scraped the coconuts and must have thrown out the water or offered it to the kids to drink and hence I used ordinary water).
2.     Add the sugar, egg yolks and butter. Mix well.
3.     Sieve the baking powder and rava (I did not). Mix with the sugar mixture.
4.     Add the egg whites.
5.     Leave the mixture overnight.(I put it in the fridge overnight and in the morning left it out for 4 hours).
6.     In the morning add salt and bake in a pre heated oven at 180°C for 45 minutes or till golden brown.


P.S.
1. Next time I am grinding both the rava and the coconut. Rava at a later stage.
2. Egg white to be beaten well before adding. 
3. And 1/4 tsp more of baking powder. cake does not rise much so no need to sub divide the cake. 
4. Why not add grated carrots for more colour and flavour?


Sending this to Priya's Event here
Archana

10 comments:

Ramya said...

Lovely combo of coconut and semolina!! the cake looks soo fluffy and soft!

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking cake with coconut

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Cake looks so soft and moist. Wonderful clicks as well.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Vardhini said...

Nice combo .. cake looks moist and perfect.

Vardhini
Event: Halloween Fiesta

Archana said...

Thanks Ramya,Torviewtoronto,Deepa, Vardhini.

Prathibha said...

lovely cake...looks delicious

hemalata said...

Cake looks so soft and spongy.Nice preparation.

divya said...

Wow looks yummy and delicious .... Very tempting clicks ....

Now Serving said...

how did i miss this one - looks so soft and spongy - btw, got your name change - your sweet comments are welcome in any alias :) hugs, priya

Nupur said...

Amazing recipe.. never heard of it.. Lovely pics..

Copyright