Sunday, 23 October 2011

Tomato Soup



Every time Srivalli announced her blogging marathon my schedule was arranged such that it was impossible to join the gang. But this time I was determined to join it come what may and so I did and boy and I am thrilled!

So for the next 7 days The Mad Scientist is open to only salads or soups! Luckily the kids agreed. So today is day#1 of the Blogging Marathon#9 do check out the others.

Diwali is round the corner which means now there will be a nip in the air. You will want something hot to warm  up. There will be lovely fresh red tomatoes in the market inviting you to try some delicious soup.

Yes Tomato Soup!


There are many ways of making this hearty broth you can use potatoes, pasta, noodles.  I used beet roots twice and the soup was beautifully coloured once but the next time I tried it was horrible vampire blood colour and no one wanted to look at it. So that has been the end of my adventure with soup and beet roots.  Today I have used carrots.

Since I am now trying to consciously reduce fats in our diet I did not use cream but I have my doctors permission to eat cheese so I have used cheese  spread as   garnish.


To Boil:

5 ripe tomatoes
2 1/2 onions, sliced
1 small carrot
2 clove garlic
3 peppers corns
1/2 tsp ginger paste

Other ingredients:
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, crushed (optional but recommended)
2 tsp butter
1 tsp sugar (optional)
1 tsp pepper
Salt
2 tblspn corn flour
1 tsp butter or cream or Cheese
Toasted bread

Method:
1.     In the pressure cooker cook all the ingredients under the head to boil for 2 whistles.
2.     Once the pressure has dropped and you can handle the tomatoes grind in the mixer.
3.   Strain it and discard all the fiber (I hate this part but as my kids want a smooth soup I need to do this).
4.     Add 2 tsp butter in a thick pan add the onion, stir now add the garlic and cook till the onion is translucent.
5.     Add the strained pulp, add 3-4 cups of water, sugar, salt, pepper. Bring to a boil.
6.     Thicken to desired consistency with the corn flour.
7.     Serve hot garnished with butter, cream or cheese and toasted bread. You can also add  bread fried in oil but I prefer to toast them in the grill.
Archana

13 comments:

  1. Yummy soup...perfect with toasted bread..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Archana,luv this impressive Tomato Soup preparation.Luvly delicious clicks and recipe too.Bookmarked it.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to know your kids agreed..:)..will be looking forward to the entries..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super tempting and comforting soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect and hearty bowl of soup!!! perfect for rainy days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very colorful hearty tomato soup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tomato soup looks fabulous..healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ever favorite...loved by everyone!...looks yum!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright