Every time Srivalli announced her blogging marathon my schedule was arranged such that it was impossible to join the gang. But this time I was determined to join it come what may and so I did and boy and I am thrilled!
So for the next 7 days The Mad Scientist is open to only salads or soups! Luckily the kids agreed. So today is day#1 of the Blogging Marathon#9 do check out the others.
Diwali is round the corner which means now there will be a nip in the air. You will want something hot to warm up. There will be lovely fresh red tomatoes in the market inviting you to try some delicious soup.
Yes Tomato Soup!
There are many ways of making this hearty broth you can use potatoes, pasta, noodles. I used beet roots twice and the soup was beautifully coloured once but the next time I tried it was horrible vampire blood colour and no one wanted to look at it. So that has been the end of my adventure with soup and beet roots. Today I have used carrots.
Since I am now trying to consciously reduce fats in our diet I did not use cream but I have my doctors permission to eat cheese so I have used cheese spread as garnish.
5 ripe tomatoes
2 1/2 onions, sliced
1 small carrot
2 clove garlic
3 peppers corns
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, crushed (optional but recommended)
2 tsp butter
1 tsp sugar (optional)
1 tsp pepper
2 tblspn corn flour
1 tsp butter or cream or Cheese
1. In the pressure cooker cook all the ingredients under the head to boil for 2 whistles.
2. Once the pressure has dropped and you can handle the tomatoes grind in the mixer.
3. Strain it and discard all the fiber (I hate this part but as my kids want a smooth soup I need to do this).
4. Add 2 tsp butter in a thick pan add the onion, stir now add the garlic and cook till the onion is translucent.
5. Add the strained pulp, add 3-4 cups of water, sugar, salt, pepper. Bring to a boil.
6. Thicken to desired consistency with the corn flour.
7. Serve hot garnished with butter, cream or cheese and toasted bread. You can also add bread fried in oil but I prefer to toast them in the grill.
Linking to Soups and Salads mela.
I am hosting a new event which I am calling Back to our Roots. Do check out my event and send me your entries from 15/10/11 to 30/11/11.