Thursday, 19 July 2012

Mooga Gathi


What have I been thinking or rather not thinking. 
Moong and pepper & moong and pepper and one of Goa most delicious sprouts veggie.

 I just do not think these days. What nut I can be!

Anyway I did think of it that is important.

I have already said that Goan’s are a religious lot. In the Hindus there are days when they will not eat fish, onion and garlic. Surprised? Well so was I. They do crib about it but then they follow the rules.

What they have during these days is an explosion of tastes and masalas. One such dish is Mooga Gathi!!


The moong is soaked and sprouted in the usual way but in the evening they are soaked again in water. The next day the sprouts skin peels off and this is used to make Mooga Ghati. Since I do not remove the skins as I believe they are full of fibre and the Gathi tastes good.

Come the month of Shravan this is going to feature quite a bit in Goan homes for not only is moong easy to digest and people do not eat fish, chicken etc.

 Ingredients:

250 grams moong sprouted
1 coconut (medium sized)
½ tsp haldi/turmeric
1 tsp coriander seeds
4-5 red chillies
¼ jaiphal or nutmeg
4 pepper corns
2 cloves
Oil
Mustard
Curry leaves
Hing/asafoetida
Salt
Cashew nuts
1-2 Green chillies
1 tomato chopped fine(optional)
Coriander leaves

Method:

1.    Heat 1 tsp oil and fry the coriander seeds, red chillies, pepper and cloves last add the nutmeg. Add the coconut mix well and switch off the flame. (This is my step not traditionally done). Add the haldi/turmeric. Cool.
2.    Grind the above to a very fine paste. Please note that in Goa all the coconut pastes (except for dhabdhabit) are ground fine, very fine with minimum water. This was done on the grinding stone now it is done in the mixer.
3.    Next heat oil and fry the cashew nuts till light brown. Remove and set aside.In the same oil splutter the mustard, add curry leaves, hing/asafoetida.
4.    Add the moong and stir till the raw smell goes away (about 4-5 minutes) on medium flame.
5.    Add the ground masala and cook till the moong is done. Add the salt.
6.    Towards the end add the green chillies split in two and add the cashew nuts.
7.    In case you are using add the tomatoes and switch off the gas.
8.    Serve garnished with coriander with hot rotis or pav.

Notes:  Traditionally this curry is yellow in colour, my gravy is red as I have used badgi chillies. Traditional Goan chillies are pungent but do not give the red colour.  Also I have run out of fresh curry leaves so i used dried powdered one hence you cannot see it.

 Sending this to
Sayantani of A home maker's dairy hosting Monsoon of India started by Jagruthi
Show me your hits Lentils - Legumes by Nalini's kitchen started by Sangeetha
MLLA# 49 hosted by Simone of Briciole started by susan of the well seasoned cook
vardhini's Only vegan - Kitchen chronicles started by Kalyani
Priya's Olympics 2012 started by Jagruthi


Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. wow, mooga gati looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect curry for Rotis.... Fingerlicking curry....

    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mooga gathi looks spicy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new recipe..looks delicious....I wonder why the goans remove the skin after sprouting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super nutritious gravy,looks irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The curry is too delicious!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking for a recipe for the Sprouts gravy:-)What a timing..Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bowl looks very nice and I would very much like to have a taste. Thank you so much for contributing to My Legume Love Affair.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind words mean a lot to me. Please do comment as it encourages me to do better.
Please do not leave any links in your comments I will be forced to delete your comment. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright